24 August 2013

The Relationship between Poetry and Art

And if the creative and cultural links that we are making this morning haven't been enough: I've just discovered, by browsing through my Poetry Products links on the right hand menu, the following quote by Leonardo da Vinci: “Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen.” Oh my word, and I thought Michelangelo was the poet. (I love the links between these two artists!) This reminds me of my poem 'The Pictures in My Mind' - see top of right hand menu. In this poem I express a frustration at not having as good an artistic talent as I would like, but also a gratitude for the gift of words that enable me to express what I see in  my mind at times. Leonardo's quote gives more weight to the communicative power of words than perhaps I am giving them credit for in this particular poem. (There will be others where I have waxed lyrical about their communicative power, however.) Perhaps Leonardo da Vinci wasn't actually a poet, but through his art came to this conclusion. I also presume he means wordless art, i.e. not the style of Stephen Raw in the below post. Nevertheless, I need to continue reading the yet unfinished book that I started ages ago 'The Battles' to see if it can shed some light. I'll blog again with any further in sight...

No comments: