24 August 2013

'The Bees' - Carol Ann Duffy

It's a strange thing, reading the poetry of others. You'd think, as others have, that being a poet I'd automatically enjoy reading the poems of others. However, to get inside the poem of another is not always an easy thing.* I love writing poems because they allow a vent for my soul's musings, joy and struggles with the world. They connect me in an acute way with my inner feelings. Re-reading poems that I've written in the past can evoke as intense emotions as on their first writing due to their ability to transport me back to that exact period in time and season on my path. However, at times, the poems of another can remain locked to their meaning even after analysing every word and nuance. Nevertheless, I've been excited to discover the work of Carol Ann Duffy in her book 'The Bees'.** I received the book as a birthday present this year and have waited for a quiet moment to digest its contents. After the first three poems I'm hooked! What eloquent use of language to convey a scene, pull you into it's emotions and to initiate a knowing nod of the head. My favourites so far are: 'Last Post' and 'Echo'. Only three in, I'm in anticipation of more favourites as I continue to read. Such poetry joy!

* I've obviously felt a bit lighter on this subject in previous posts. I've most likely been frustrated at the reading of a few lesser accessible poems in between then and now. Repeating what I said in that post, I'd encourage anyone who finds poetry inaccessible to read to have a go at writing their own - however short or simple. This, I find, is the best way to appreciate the poems of others. Or, at least, to start the journey into appreciation.

** I'm also pleased to have a positive angle on Carol Ann Duffy's work after having previously discovered less favourable reviews.

No comments: